Sunday 19 August 2012

"Living like it all depends on you"

As part of my duties as a sidesperson at my church, I have to tell people in a row of pews when they can go and get communion. However, as I have not been a sidesperson for very long, I hadn't had to do it before this morning.

This means that it was something new. Something that my brain went into panic-mode about. I felt sure that I was going to make a mistake, even though I wasn't sure what that mistake would be.

As I made my way to the front of the row of pews that I would be directing, I thought of one of my favourite songs: Again by Flyleaf. It's basically a song about how God wants a relationship with us, and in the first verse it says that God loves the way that we live as though it all depends on us. It dawned on me that that's what I was doing - I was thinking that the entire operation of communion depended on my telling one set of pews when they could go up for communion.

What was really going to happen if I happened to make that unidentified mistake? Would the whole act of communion descend into chaos? Probably not. So I didn't have to worry about it. I didn't have to act like it all depended on me, because it didn't. It really didn't.

But we do it all the time. There are often moments in life when we feel as though our role in a certain operation will make all the difference, and that there is ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM FOR MISTAKES!!! When in fact, most of the time we don't need to worry, because there is room for mistakes.

I doubt we'll ever stop living like it all depends on us, but as I have been taught by Flyleaf, we just have to remember that it doesn't matter if we mess up, because it doesn't all depend on us, it depends on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment